Saturday, August 17, 2013

It's all about the wine, Cafayate, Northern Argentina

So I've been in Argentina now about 3 weeks. It was a really hard adjustment after Bolivia.  The prices are alot higher and the exchange is alot lower. I was here about a year ago and the exchange dropped by about 25%.  The way to get around that is by exchanging money on the streets. So I bought one of those pens you can mark the bills with to see if they're counterfeit. Even though things are alot more expensive, the people are alot nicer than the Bolivians.  So, that's a decent trade off.

Everything here is WINE, WINE, WINE. Yesterday I had wine flavored ice cream, which I got a little buzz off of.  There are wine stores all over, vineyards and lots of places to get a good, cheap glass of wine. Today I went to visit a couple of vineyards which are only 30 minutes walking. Harvest was in Feb, so there were no grapes on the vine.  They produce a white wine called Torrontes which is special to this region and very tasty.

They also have a wine museum that I'll go and check out tomorrow. 


1 comment:

  1. Hey, ice cream wine sounds good to me. I brought back some icewine tea from Canada - ice cream must taste a lot better, though :).

    Today your Dad said thank you to Djanira and Mark for naming their baby William. Kind of neat that him and Dad and Thomas have William in their names. Cheers to that!

    ReplyDelete