Saturday, July 13, 2013

Bolivia, similar yet different than Peru

So I've been on my own, traveling around for 2 weeks now. It was hard leaving the comfort and routine that I established in Cusco, but I had to move on. My first taste of Bolivia was getting harangued at the border because the money I brought wasn't up to standard. I have to say, that was not a nice welcome.  Next, even though I was surrounded by the beauty of Lake Titicaca, I thought that Copacabana was touristy and expensive. Disappointing since I had heard it was so much cheaper than Peru.

All started to change when I got to La Paz, which I was really hoping would not be like Lima. It's a big city set in a basin, nicknamed the red city because all of the red brick houses are unpainted. It's so beautiful here.  I took a great free walking tour and got to learn about the city, good and bad. Bolivia is over 60% indigenous. You see the "cholitas" everywhere. In Lima, you hardly saw any of them. All the ladies wear little bowler hats and skirts with lots and lots of ruffles, so they purposefully look fat.

La Paz is getting ready to celebrate their Independence Day on Tuesday but I'm going to miss it. I'm leaving on a jungle tour tomorrow for 4 days and then flying straight to Sucre.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, what a neat picture. Yes, at the border sometimes they want to give you a hard time, don't worry. I noticed the cholitas in Santa Cruz too. They seem to live well with the city people. Try their chicha, if I'm not mistaken it's a bit different from the one from Peru. It's made out of boiled peach (melocoton) - just delicious in my humble opinion :).

    I'm so glad you booked the tour, I bet it's going to be fun. You have such a beautiful tan, everyone in New York will be jealous!

    Mom is helping me with the invitations for Djanira's shower. I can't believe we are in July already.

    Have a wonderful time, glad to know you made new friends.

    ReplyDelete