Sunday, July 21, 2013

Pink dolphins, caimans and piranhas in Rurranbaque, Bolivia



HappilySo I was a little on the fence about taking a trip to the jungle. It seemed expensive and on general, I wouldn't call myself a jungle person. When I went to the travel agency there was a group of 3 other 
Americans booking their trip and I figured, WTH, I'll book it too. At least this way I'd know how I would be with for 3 days. It turned out to be a lot of fun. The group adopted me and we traveled together for the 3 days of the trip and the days surrounding it.

Being in the jungle felt a lot like being in Miami. The greens, the water that we boated through to get to camp and the mosquitoes. Those mosquitoes literally ate me alive. I counted one hand and had 18 bites on it, I looked like I had some horrible skin disease.  We saw lots of caimans, which everyone loved seeing.  Me, I've seen them before, but it was still a sight. We went hunting for anacondas and found a long 10 foot one and we also went fishing for piranhas.  We weren't as lucky with the fishing, my entire boat of 9 only caught one and we had to throw it back because it was so small.

The highlight was swimming with pink dolphins. They're mostly grey with a tint of pink. They would brush up against us in the water and the babies even bit my toes.

This trip was a good reminder to just go with things and be happily surprised with the outcome.




1 comment:

  1. Ha! That was a one tiny piranha :). It reminds me of Bonito, where I took Andrew once. It's about one hour from where my Mom lives and you get to swim in a river, a truly natural aquarium. We went tubbing and had a blast.

    I've heard about the pink dolphins. Aren't day supposed to be fatter than the ones in the ocean? I heard they don't do as many flips, that's whay they are a little chubby :).


    I have an interview this week - trying to change careers within the company. Wish me luck!

    Keep smiling :)


    ReplyDelete