Sunday, May 12, 2013

Lots of Ruins this weekend

I took a couple of side trips this weekend. Peru sells this Tourist ticket which is really the only way to get entry into some ruins. Its kind of pricey and is valid for 10 days, so when you get it, you need to start making use of it.

Yesterday I went to visit Tipon and Pikillacta. Tipon is an Incan site with long ledges they think the Incans used to grow and harvest different things. Its about an hour from Cusco, but they didn't live there. Pikillacta is a pre Incan site. The Waray people lived there and built an entire city. The architecture is really different. Archaeologists live at both sites because there is still so much they don't know and are still trying to discover.

Pisac was the highlight though. Makes me wonder why you would go anywhere else. Its probably the precursor to Machu Pichu. Its high in the mountains. I hired a driver to take me to the top which took 20 minutes. Walking would have taken hours. It was incredible. They don't know that much but they think it was a hiding place for Pachacutec from the Spainards. It was incredible and pretty windy up there. They also have a pretty incredible Sunday market there.

Tomorrow I start week 2 of Spanish school and start volunteering in their after school program. I'll post more about that soon.

xo
Christy

1 comment:

  1. These places are wonderful, Christy. So cool that you have the opportunity to see them. I'm curious about the volunteering work you are going to do. My friend Paula is going to Indonesia to volunteer teaching English there. That's a great way to know a country and its people.

    Have a great rest of the week! Everybody says Hi here, Andrea has only one more week to go and then she'll be on vacation.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete